AllForU

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Day at Phillip Capital

Tuesday. What is going on? Ohz full day assessment at Phillip Capital. 830 to 630. So, I am stuck there and I didn't have the opportunity to make a phone call to Sarina cos even the lunch is in the office itself. If I want to make a call to UOB, it has to be in the office where there are so many Phillip Capital people walking around, so wun be nice. Yupz..a full day session..so what did we do?

The founder of Phillip Capital, Mr. Gordon Hoo, talked to us. He challenged our beliefs and told us that the definition of courage includes your belief and actions and in the middle lies doubt. Cos to do something, you need to have the courage, then you will have actions. But once you have actions, there will definitely be doubts, fears of wat will happen if you do that. Quite a good definition I felt. Mr. Gordon Hoo is a very inspiration speaker. He talked to us about a lot of things. About how we will see ourselves 10 to 15 years down the road. Do we want to remain as employees and work for others or should we work for ourselves? During his talk, he sometimes makes me wonder whether I really want to be an employee all my life or should I just be an entrepreneur?

Then there were other speakers, Ms Allen and Ms Sydney and Mr. Warren. Ms Allen told us the story of how at the tender age of 25, she was posted by the company to go to Malaysia alone and she encountered a lot of things that were not work related. She moved into an apartment which got burglarised and the police called her while she was having a meeting, she got robbed of her handbag which contains her passport and all important documents on her way home and two person who stayed in her condominium and one just nearby committed suicide by jumping off the building. Very Drama hor. Thats what I felt when she told her story. And when she tot that after her 8 months term in Malaysia is over and she is coming to Singapore. She was posted to Thailand for 2 years. She have to learn to speak Thai and I think she has mastered the Thai language already cos she has to converse in Thai and even give presentations in big functions in Thai. Deep down in my heart, I really admired her. But how many people can be like her?

Then, there was Ms Sydney. She quitted her job as a civil servant at LTA to come here to work as an adviser. She didn't like it at LTA because although her perfomance was very good, she could not be promoted because someone who is more senior than her has yet to be promoted. So, she must wait for her chance. So, she felt injustice and decided to leave for good. She must be earning a lot cos she could afford to take a one month's leave to Australia and she says that once she sees something that she likes, she will just buy cos she is financially sound to do so. She make it to the million dollar round table which is an achievement not all advisers can attain. Applause. Again, how many Ms Sydneys can we get in Phillip Capital? Maybe that is the reason why she is chosen to speak to us and hopefully to inspire us to join the company ba.

Then the last speaker, Mr. Warren. He got interviewed by Channel News Asia before. He is the youngest CEO in the financial arena I think but I am not sure in which region. Basically, he is very li hai lor. And he keep emphasizing the fact that it is going to be a tough job and they are not going to select any Tom, Dick or Harry. He played Simon says with us and all of us there are tricked by him when he told us to stand up and put our bags at the side of the chair cos he says that we may need to move around in the game later. But actually, the game already started when he asks us whether we are ready and when he told us to stand up, he didn't say Simon says and all of us got tricked. Heh.

Then, we also played a Signature game. I am not sure whether I am good or the others didn't want to play but I end up scoring the most points and the person keep saying my name...oh no..that is bad, now everyone there remembers my name and sure enough at the end of the session, I was singled out by an advisor and went to his office to talk to him. At least the others are going in groups lor.

They actually wanted me to sign up for three tests on the spot and pay for the tests..around 200 plus dollars to show our sincerity in becoming an fp by taking the entry tests. But in the end, I told him that I needed time to think and I didn't pay for the tests in the end. So, after like talking to him for like half an hour, he sent me to the door and he ended off with saying I will call you again to come to see one of our meetings. Really need time to think about it.

Ok. Time to call my UOB. Yippee!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home